Monday, August 31, 2015

Strength

Genre: Drama
Word Count: 466
Rating: Safe!

I stood there watching him. The blood dripped from his nose. His left eye was slightly swollen. His legs curled up and his hands heavily bruised as he protected his body from their kicks. He was losing. But that’s ridiculous, my brother is the strongest, he can’t lose, how could he? There is just no way.

My big brother has always been so much stronger than me. Our father has problems with his legs. Whenever at night he would come home, he would smell funny and he would have trouble standing straight. My brother told me that he had a disease called “drinking”. I feel sorry for dad, but the disease causes him to get angry at us for no reason and start beating us. My brother would come and stop him. My father is strong, his beatings would hurt but my brother is even stronger than him.

My brother is so so strong. He can go without eating for several days, but I can hardly go a day without eating. He can transfer a ton of bricks on his head from ground floor to fourth and then at night he would still have enough strength to pull a cart filled with heavy things all on his own. He could pull the cart even when I would sit on the cart, he is so much stronger.

My brother is so strong that adults come to our house to talk to him. They don’t even talk to our father. They always talk about taking things, giving money. I don’t really understand all that, but adults are talking to you, then doesn’t that mean my brother is as strong as an adult?

Then, how? How can he be beaten like this? I just scratched their car a little bit. I didn’t mean to. But they are beating my brother for it. My brother is so strong, why doesn’t he fight back? And as these thoughts swamped and swirled in my head, I found myself standing in between the two tall guys and my brother,

“Ae buddhu! Galti apun ki thi, bhai ko kyun maar rela hain? Apun se baat kar na jo bhi karna hain!” (“You idiot! It was my fault, why are you beating my brother? Talk to me, whatever it is”)
“Oye chutku, chal kat le yahan se” (“You little runt, get out of here!”)
“Apun kahin nahi jayega, jo ukhaad na hain ukhaad le” (“I am not going anywhere, do what you can”)

As the two guys walked away visibly frustrated, I turned around and looked at my brother angrily,

“Do fatka kahe ko nai diya?” (“Why didn’t you just beat them?”)
“Arre woh sambhaal nahi pate re” (“They couldn’t have handled my beating”)

Then he just smiled and messed up my hair. I knew it, he is so strong. I will grow up to be strong just like my brother.

No comments: